Networking Considerations for the Ultimaker 3, Ultimaker 3 Extended and Ultimaker S5
The Ultimaker 3 series and Ultimaker S5 include wired and wireless networking capabilities. Your IT department may have questions about this from a security perspective. Here are some notes that may be useful:
- The Ultimaker 3 series and Ultimaker S5 do support wired or wireless network connections, mainly for puposes of doing over-the-air firmware updates and for sending/monitoring print jobs over the network.
- The Cura software used to prepare print jobs is a free download and is run locally. There are some features in Cura that require a network connection (like their plugins and materials marketplace), but most features can be used without network connectivity.
- The Cura Connect software (used to manage the print job queue) is hosted on the printer itself and can be accessed by any machine on the same local network.
- The printer firmware can be updated using the USB flash drive if a network connection is not available.
- Ultimaker printers are not currently able to connect to wireless networks that require web-based authentication (i.e. filling in a login name and password in order to connect to the wifi)
- Your IT department can set up a MAC address restriction so that the same static IP address gets assigned to the printer every time it's powered on. You can find the printer's MAC address in the networking menu on the printer. Then, they can open specific ports through the firewall: 80 (API, Webcam, Cura, Cura Connect) and 5353 (Zero-conf/mDNS).
Dimensional Accuracy on the Ultimaker S5
To improve the dimensional accuracy on the Ultimaker S5, you can change the following Cura settings: Set line width equal to nozzle diameter Equalize all speed settings (infill, outer wall, inner wall, etc.) to about 40 mm/s Set all jerk settings to ...
Which Ultimaker Print Cores Should I Use?
With the introduction of the Ultimaker 3, Ultimaker has shifted away from swappable nozzles in favor of interchangeable print cores. There are different print cores available, depending on what you're looking to do. Generally speaking, the AA print ...
Which CAD software should I use with my Ultimaker 3D printer?
When 3D printing, you'll want to have your 3D models in either STL or OBJ file format. When you're ready to 3D print your design, you'll load your STL or OBJ file into Ultimaker Cura or the slicing software of your choice to prepare the print job. ...
Which 3D printer should I get for making e-NABLE devices?
Choosing the right 3D printer can be a difficult process. There are many options available, and a lot of it depends on your budget and preferences. Most 3D printers are capable of printing e-NABLE devices. I would recommend steering clear of “mini” ...
Information about Mayku Form Sheets and Cast Sheets (for the Mayku FormBox)
SHEETS / MATERIALS Form Sheets - HIPS (High Impact Polystyrene) White Satin Surface Easy to Cut Ready to Paint Durable Replicates Fine Detail The durable, satin surface of the Mayku Form Sheet makes it effortless to achieve a professional finish for ...